Life arose from water and without it no living being could exist. Every time we take a sip of fresh water, it is new to us. But it is not new water. This water has been recycled over and over again since the beginning of the universe by various forms of life, such as a dinosaur, a rabbit, a dove, a plant and even human beings.
In the kitchen
- When you wash the dishes, try to do it right after the meal to avoid the remains of food drying out and use less soap and water. Soak and rinse everything at once, without having the faucet open and open it only for the final rinse.
- Install an aerator, it is cheap and easy to install and you will save a lot of water.
- When washing vegetables, put a stopper in the sink and fill it and wash everything you are going to wash at once.
- Use little water to cook vegetables, as flavor and nutritional value are lost with water.
- Do not throw away the water that you used to cook the vegetables, with it you can prepare a tasty soup.
- Never throw peels or residues down the sink, you waste water unnecessarily and you can also plug your drain. Better put them in the trash can or have compost for your plants.
In the bathroom
- The bathroom is the place in the house where the most water is consumed, often in a very wasteful way.
- That is why it is very important that we take simple steps in our homes to reduce the amount of water we use.
- Don't let the water run! While you wash your hands or face, put a stopper and fill the sink with only as much water as you need. If you want to fill it with warm water, do not leave the water running while it is hot, better close it with the cap and start filling the sink with the water that comes out cold first, when the hot comes out it will warm up.
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth, this way you will save about 8 liters of water. Multiply it by the people who live in your house! Better yet, you only need a glass to brush your teeth, with half the water you rinse your mouth, with the remaining water you clean the brush. Did you see how easy it is to take care of the water?
- Rinse and clean your razor in a bowl, not under running water. Do not shave while bathing, you will waste too much water.
- If you still have a 16-liter toilet or flush, replace it with a low-consumption one that uses six liters per flush; This means that every time you go to the bathroom you are saving 10 liters of water.
- If you cannot replace your old toilet, you can place two full 2-liter water bottles in the box, so you will consume at least 4 liters less with each flush.
- Periodically monitor the state of the facilities or to avoid leaks in your toilet. To make sure there is no escapes You can put a few drops of vegetable paint in the water box, if the water in the cup takes color it means that you are losing water.
- Do not throw the toilet paper into the water, on the one hand it can clog the drains, and the excess cellulose in the water can kill the fish that live in it.
- Also, do not use the toilet to flush tissues, cigarette butts, or other waste. The toilet is not the trash can.
- Collect in a bucket the water that you normally let run while the hot water arrives. You can use it later, to wash, water the plants or scrub the floors. If it takes a long time for hot water to arrive, you may want to change the placement of the heater or thermally insulate the pipe.
- Take a bath quickly and close the taps while you lather and shampoo.
Do you want to know how to prevent water from running off our hands? Visit www.agua.org.mx